That was a memorable year
in Cali: the city had been selected to be the seat of the 6th
Panamerican Games and went through a fabulous transformation. The
sports arenas that Cali has today were built at that time: the
Panamerican Swimming Pools and Baseball diamond, the Bicycle
Velodrome, the Pascual Guerrero Stadium already existed and the
Gimnasio Evangelista Mora next to the Football Stadium completed the
sports installations.
(In the back of the photo, written with a delicate hand by Leonor Cuervo:
Cali, Julio1971
"La pareja tricolor"
Uno de los ensayos previos a las justas panamericanas")
The student residences at Univalle were converted into Olympic Village, the fountains and parks on the Fifth Avenue were constructed, the whole city vibrated with energy, renovation, growth and joy. A totally new traffic police corps was formed:Los Guardas Bachilleres, they were high-school graduates all in their new nifty blue uniforms.
(In the back of the photo, written with a delicate hand by Leonor Cuervo:
Cali, Julio1971
"La pareja tricolor"
Uno de los ensayos previos a las justas panamericanas")
The student residences at Univalle were converted into Olympic Village, the fountains and parks on the Fifth Avenue were constructed, the whole city vibrated with energy, renovation, growth and joy. A totally new traffic police corps was formed:Los Guardas Bachilleres, they were high-school graduates all in their new nifty blue uniforms.
We were, of course, in the
middle of it all. My boss was in charge of providing the city the
group of bilingual personnel that would be employed as interpreters
and translators at the different events. Both my brother and my
boyfriend took the training, for some reason that I don't recall, I
didn't. It may have well been that I didn't feel confident enough
with my Spanish at that time. I sat with Fabian in the classes and
even if I didn't get full credentials I still had a badge and the
sleeve with ”Interprete Oficial” written on it. We were att he
initial Press Conference with the delegates from different American
countries; we were interpreting for people from Barbados and I
remember understanding only about half of what they said. Then we all
got our assignments, some people got sent to Lago Calima for the
sailing and yachting competitions, my brother was assigned to the
Country Club for the shooting events and we went to the newly built
velodrome with a track made of wood imported from Africa. We were
assigned a booth right next to Radio Todelar and the Colombian TV.
Fabian announced all competitions and the results in Spanish, I did
the same in English. The media people sent us food and soft drinks
hoping to be first to get the official results before their
competitors, nothing was allowed to go out before we said it. It was
a lot of fun and totally exhilarating to announce the new Panamerican
records made by Martin ”Cochise” Rodriguez and hear the whole
velodrome, all 20 thousand people jammed in there burst into cheer
and applaud. I was complemented a lot for my good media voice and
diction.(perhaps I should have chosen to study to be a journalist
anyway, like I had initially planned when graduated from high
school).
On our free time we went
to every sports event in town, the swimming competitions at the
Olympic
Pools, the football
matches at the Pascual Guerrero, we didn't pay for the entrance and
went before others in the lines. What a summer! In the fall, after
the Games were over, Fabian's parents went on a trip to USA and
Fabian got to use the family car, a 54 Chevrolet BelAir meantime. It
was kept in mint condition of course and he had promised to take good
care of it. We went for picnics and rides, visited the neighbouring
towns and villages, drove to Pereira where he had studied industrial
engineering at the Technological University but had quit because he
was sick all the time (bad climate) and saw naked Simon Bolivar
statue. The car broke down, though, and he started a frenetic race
to get it repaired before his parents's imminent return. He believed
that they would never let him have the car again if it was broken at
their return. The mechanic screwed in the last new part the day
before mum and dad came home.
Fabian had been teaching
at Colombo, mostly in high schools and also as Spanish teacher before
the games; yet Colombo had decided NOT to give their teachers leave
of abscence to work as interpreters at the games, probably out of
spite because it was the competition, Donald Harris who obtained the
contract to provide this personnel. People took time off anyway for
the games and my brother was eventually re.-hired, but Fabian decided
to look elsewhere. I spoke with my boss and Fabian was hired to teach
English at Harris Institute together with me.






It is remarkable to remember how the city was prepared to receive the 5th panamerican games; you both were an important part of this event as translators; in fact I want to be a translator as well in order to have similar experiences. My mother told me that she sold the bricks made of stoneware for the swimming pool, the baseball diamond and the other constructions. I didn’t know that at that moment was created the police squad of “bachilleres” that today we can find around the city and also that my university (univalle) supported the event by allowing the participants to stay in the campus. Eventually some pictures that you posted were taken by my father ( I showed him your blog, he was happy to see once again his brother). Thank you for share your memories in some way are related to my present time.
ReplyDeleteNever before and never after have I personally experienced so much optimism and faith in a brighter future in Cali. The whole city was impermeated by this enthusiasm and joy of having been chosen, having an opportunity to be a host, to show yo the whole oanamerican community that the Sultana was a beautiful, modern,hospitable city. The only other time I experienced something similar, in a smaller scale, though, when Cali held the Swimming Championships in 1975 and your uncle and me were the official delegates for Finland.
Delete